Saturday 21 June 2014

The Fault In Our Stars



Yesterday was officially the first day of freedom, which should be a happy and exciting time, days filled with laughter and fun. But how did I start the summer? I went to see The Fault In Our Stars *sobbing at the meer thought of the film now* If you haven't heard of TFIOS, then you must be living under a rock. It has been such a hugely anticipated movie, especially in the tumblr world, and I can say it really did not disappoint. 

I had already read the book a few months ago, so I thought I was fully prepared for the emotional rollercoaster of the story. I usually love books more than films, however, I think the seeing Hazel and Gus on the screen created a better connection for me. The book, to the surpise of my friends, didn't make me cry. But oh my! Watching it the cinema I could not hold it in (and neither could the girl behind my friends and I, who was hysterically crying, it almost sounded as if she was laughing). I advise tissues if you are very sensitive to intense situations and plan on seeing TFIOS. 

What I think made the film so good was the clear chemistry and connection between all of the characters, not just Hazel and Gus. Issac and Gus's friendship really shone through, Hazel's parents were played perfectly by Laura Dern and Sam Trammell, and obviously no one could have played the leading roles better than Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort. 

My only critiscism is that if you have read the book you will notice some of the differences, and if you are a hard core John Green and TFIOS fan you might be a bit like Wha?! For example, Patrick, the support group leader, has less of a role in the movie. And I also feel Issac's contribution to the story was less significant than in the book. 

Overall though, this is an intense, emotional, and funny film. Be prepared to be emotionally drained after seeing this, and not looking as good as you did when you walked into the cinema. To recover, I advice having a well deserved McDonalds - which is exactly what I did. And whilst in the queue a girl did actually smile at me in a 'hope you're alright, you look like you've been crying' kind of way.



What did you guys think of the film? I'm yet to come across anyone who's seen it, that hasn't enjoyed/liked it. 
Lots of love, Nikki. xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment